Monday, September 05, 2005

The Small Talk

I was waiting for the bus when this lady came and asked me about the bus route. I told her everything I know. We had a small talk.

Lady: Are you studying or working?

Gentleman: Oh, I’ve been working for one month(new company). I just finished my studies.

Lady: Oh, where did you study? Lim Kok Wing?

Gentleman: No. *Uni's name*. It’s just over there(pointing my fingers towards the direction of my uni)

Lady: What did you study?

Gentleman: IT

Lady: Oh, programming, graphic designing?

Gentleman: Yeah, all that.

Lady: You must be pretty young.

Gentleman: No. I’m 24.

Lady: Oh, we’re at same age.

Gentleman: (Smile)

Lady: What are you doing now?

Gentleman: I’m just a lousy clerk.

Lady: Oh, don’t say that. It’s hard to get job nowadays. At least you gain some experience first.

Gentleman: Yeah, that’s why I just take whatever they gave me. What are you doing?

Lady: I’m working as a Customer Service Executive.

Gentleman: Oh, is it a call centre?

Lady: Not really. We deal with international business and…(I don’t really remember what she said) I work in Amcorp Mall, 11th Floor(12th or 17th floor or something. Fuck it. I don’t remember)

Gentleman:Oh.

Lady: Are you Malaysian?

Gentleman: Yes I’m Malaysian. I’m local. Why?

Lady: You speak good English.

Gentleman: (Blushing & confused because he’s not really that good)

Lady: I thought you’re Singaporean.

Gentleman: No I’m not. I’m from Malacca.

Lady: Do you drive?

Gentleman: No I don’t(At this point, I’m not sure why she asked me this. Oh I got it. She used it to measure my economic stability. People like me are mediocre. I don’t have a car, therefore I’m common.)

Lady: Where did you study before...errr I mean your school?

Gentleman: Oh, I did my primary school in Malacca and then I went to Kedah. Oh my bus is coming…

Lady: Is it going to KJ station?

Gentleman: I’m not sure. You better ask the driver.

I’m getting used to it now. I’ve been asked the same question before, during interviews. I’m not sure what made they think that I’m not from here. I’m Malaysian, eat Malaysian foods, speak like Malaysian but don’t really trust the government of Malaysia…hehe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home