Monday, April 23, 2007

The Play

Gory and morbid at times. That's how I can describe the play we went to see last night. It's been a while since I last went to one. The last one was last year, 'The Fastest Clock In The Universe' in KLPAC, Sentul West. Last night was my first Malay play and it's called 'Tanda' or Sign. I only know about it when Put called and asked me two hours before it begins! Turned out Laz's friend was one of the directors for the six-part play. And that's why we were there. And this director bloke is hot.
Held at the National Arts Culture and Heritage Academy(ASWARA) formerly known as ASK I guess, our first time there for most of us. We were surprised when we arrived, as it was a crowd-puller! We opted to sit on the floor ala hippies at first since the bleachers were packed full with 'eager spectators' I can say. After some squeezing act by the folks in the bleachers, we managed to secure some space.
'Tanda' is an agreed collaboration between six directors of ASWARA's students, confronting with the signs of doomsday, Armageddon, Judgment Day or whatever your mom call it (hence, 'Tanda'), pillared by several hadiths. This play is heavily peppered with Islamic perspectives which make it hard for others who's not familiar with this religion to digest the tenacious simulations of the 'signs'. Thanks to the accompanying multimedia presentations, a layman like me who struggled throughout the play managed to swallow some bits and pieces.
A scene that still lingers in my mind is the two Datins sharing stories about their 'cats' and what they feed them. It's a metaphor or something but I don't get it. But it's alright I guess, don't swallow more than you can handle, right? Can't let my mind be bothered by some cat chat though.
The prominent scene was when everyone hastily prepared to welcome the 'Yang Terhormat' or 'The Honorable' depicted solely from a given hadith:
"The world will not pass before it first belongs to a mean fool son of a mean fool (luka` ibn luka`)."-Ath Thabrani.
Reminds me of Muse's 'Knights of Cydonia' poignant lyrics, "How can we win when fools can be kings?".

The above picture is from a scene where people were dancing in a club while a muezzin(not in the picture though) is calling to prayer. The muezzin later went to sleep. We weren't allowed to take any pictures. I defied. Can't help it mate!Hehehe.

Just like in the cinema or any other places that need you to switch off your fucking mobile with your fucking 'machine kuda'(horse race slot machine) ringtone, the play wasn't spared from this fucking selfish pre-historic animal behaviour. I don't know what's with this people, but can I suggest that we shove the fucking mobiles up their fucking arseholes next time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home